I have a thought for y’all: the last time BYU basketball went up against Saint Mary’s was just before the world ended.
Well, that’s a little dramatic, but it was just a few days before the pandemic was declared and the nation was essentially shut down. And while the last 10 months have all blurred together and we’re still not on the other side of this thing, the Cougars are in a completely different place than the last time they played the Gaels.
The last time both programs met, it was at the West Coast Conference Tournament semifinals in Las Vegas. BYU was riding a nine-game win streak, most recently having upset then No. 2 Gonzaga at the Marriott Center. This time around, the Cougars are coming off a loss to the Zags.
It’s crazy to think about how much hasn’t changed and how much has.
For example, who would have thought that BYU would barely be playing its second game in three weeks? But I guess it’s just another case of how we’re in this “new normal.”
But the Cougars, just like the rest of us, are rolling with the punches and trying to make the best of it. At least, they’re trying, right?
• It was shocking to hear the news about Dave Rose’s stroke a couple of weeks ago. He retired before I even came to Utah, but I did meet him during the 2019 football season. We rode the elevator together at LaVell Edwards Stadium and I just remember thinking he was one of the nicest men I had met. That’s the only interaction I had with him, but it left a lasting impression. Yesterday, his wife Cheryl had an update on Dave’s condition:
“Dave has made great progress here at Utah Valley Hospital following his stroke in large part because of the dedicated nurses, doctors and therapists. He is being released tomorrow to go home where he will continue his recovery with outpatient therapy. We cannot begin to express the gratitude we feel for the outpouring love and prayers on behalf of Dave and our family. We have witnessed yet again how he has faced a challenging health issue with courage and determination and we have never been more proud of him.”
• On a lighter note, did anyone watch Nickelodeon broadcast of the Bears-Saints game? I didn’t — I don’t have cable and didn’t even know it was going to happen — but it looks like it was so much fun. I’ve enjoyed seeing all the memes and reading about some kids watched their first NFL game because of it.
• ESPN wrapped up all the must-see moments and analysis of every bowl game, which includes the Boca Raton Bowl.
• Darnell Dickson of the Daily Herald wrote of BYU Basketball freshman Caleb Lohner, and how he’s finding his niche with the Cougars.
• BYU soccer star Mikayla Colohan was selected by the Orlando Pride in the 2021 NWSL Draft as the No. 14 pick.
Normita’s Spanish Lesson of the Week
Es gracioso como funciona la vida.
It’s funny how life works.